Saturday, March 28, 2009

"No line on the horizon" by U2

I agree... U2 is not a fake band (although some people think differently :-) ). But the reason why I wrote this post is because the new U2 album has probably the dullest cover ever.
Is that a crime? I wouldn't say that. But it's clear that we've seen that picture somewhere before...  

The cover for the new U2 album uses the same photo by Hiroshi Sugimoto that was used by electronic/ambient musician Taylor Deupree for his CD "Specification.Fifteen" (based on Sugimoto's work) from 2006.
You can read all about it here.

Without using the words stealing or plagiarism I would say that's not very smart. Who's to blame? I wouldn't know. Sugimoto himself, or his management? U2, or their management? This will probably stay an ongoing discussion...

Fact is, that it is a dull cover.
So I tried to pimp it (fake covers again!) but I kept the black&white picture. I didn't use any bigger-than-life typography and I didn't add any graphical elements.


Did it get any better? Tell me.

And that brings me to a second subject about U2.
The U2 album sleeves look always a bit simular. (Let's make an exception for "Pop") You could call that a house style but I don't think it's intentional. There's never any great design. Never any creativity. Always pale brown, dark red and black&white. Always a bit symmetrical. Always a bit old fashioned. I'ld almost say: always a bit dull.
What would happen if U2 used the same dull photo and the cliche title of their last album, but if they'ld use an old design?


I bet you recognize the albums in an instant...

"No line on the horizon" by U2

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Private Beach said...

Yeah, but is the music any good?

March 28, 2009 at 4:25 AM  
Blogger Art Rock said...

Ik vind je poging links beneden (met de grote U2) zeer geslaagd.

Overigens vind ik dat hun eerste LP (Boy) een prachtige hoes heeft - komt eerdaags in mijn blog onder beautiful album covers.

March 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home